- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red (bell) pepper, finely sliced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 1/4 cups frozen sweet corn
- 3 1/2 cups hot vegetable stock
- 14 fl oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 rounded teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 spring onions (scallions), sliced on the diagonal
- handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 lime, quartered
In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, then throw the red pepper, celery, and chilli flakes into the pan and cook for 2–3 minutes until softened.
Tip in the sweet corn, vegetable stock, and coconut milk and increase the heat to high. Stir through the smoked paprika, then partially cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and season with sea salt. Ladle half the soup into a blender and blast until completely smooth. Pour the smooth half back into the unblended soup and combine. Serve hot with spring onions, coriander and a wedge of lime to garnish. Serves 4.
About this recipe
“I love the smoky background to this classic soup, which is sunny in both color and flavor. Using frozen sweet corn reduces the cooking time and it’s likely you’ll always have some in the freezer ready to make this hearty soup. Tip: Smoked paprika deepens the flavor of this chowder and makes it taste as though it has been cooking for hours, not for less than 15 minutes!” – Katy Beskow
Recipes excerpted with permission from 15 Minute Vegan by Katy Beskow, photography by Dan Jones.